chicken hunterS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

chicken hunterS

OpenArena Clan

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Piggie's little Duel Workshop - lesson 3

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
PigCell
chS/member
PigCell

Flag : Germany

Clan : chS

Piggie's little Duel Workshop - lesson 3 Empty
PostSubject: Piggie's little Duel Workshop - lesson 3   Piggie's little Duel Workshop - lesson 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 8:42 pm

Rather than lecturing and going on and on about this or that, I will simply provide you with the tools you need to improve on your own. This lesson then will be about what you can do to work on your own specific weaknesses.

I have had many fun duel matches, but I also encountered quite a few, who in principle are interested in duel, but think they'd just get owned and wouldn't enjoy playing. Maybe they're good in CA but think duel is too difficult or too confusing. All they really need is an easy entry point. Pair up with some other 'noobs', watch pro replays or ask the duel regulars for feedback.

What I want you to do:
I want you to record demos of yourself when you think you're doing really really well - you play your very best, but you lose. Since this is hard to know beforehand, I use these two binds:
  • bind x "toggle cg_autoaction" //autoaction really is a bitmask, but toggle conveniently switches between off and 1 (only demo, which is what we need)
  • bind z "stoprecord"
If you already use autoaction for something, then just use the appropriate value instead of toggle. I like switching it off for other game modes since I don't want to record every single game I play.
Anyway, you lose a game in which you try really hard, keep that demo and just let it sit there for a couple of days. When you've mentally distanced yourself from that game enough, watch the demo and identify your mistakes. It might look really weird and some mistakes might be cringe-worthy. But that's a good way of learning not to make those mistakes again.

The next step: breaking problems down into simple fixable chunks.
  • Timing: Basic Timing Guide
  • Aiming: LG tutorial
  • Combat situations: Improving at Quake

Homework assignment: learn cpm24f
It's a small, fun map, it teaches you shooting at powerups from a strong position above, you can have nice comebacks, and it's fast-paced and there's no rail whoring. Make sure you have cpm24 (no f) present as a pk3, just callvote it first or download it from q3a.ath - you'll need it for the textures.

This map is not as 'hard' as ospdm8 or pukka3tourney2, but it'll still reward you if you apply clever strategy (timing, denying, control) and tactics (positioning, clever spam shots, prediction) and rocket skill. Usually I provide an overview screenshot, but frankly, the map is so small and easy to learn, just pick someone roughly your level and hop in. You'll learn it in no time.
    A few pointers:
  • Pay attention to your opponent's health total. Know it, or at least have an educated guess. Decide whether to charge in or just deliver a rocket from a distance based on that knowledge.
  • GL is there to spam RA or MH without being hit back. As soon as your opponent is in view, switch to a proper weapon and fight or run! Picking GL is not an excuse to not pick up other weapons immediately. Especially since LG is just a jump away.
  • That 50h is a pretty important item. If you know your opponent is low, you can get an almost guaranteed kill if you ambush them from above while they try to heal up.

Just as a side note: There's still an all chS duel Championship going on. All of you 'losing is no fun and therefore I don't play duel' people: have some fun matches with one another or train with me. Practice now, before it's too late to challenge light while his hand is still not fully healed Very happy
Back to top Go down
Provv
chS/member

Flag : Italy

PostSubject: Re: Piggie's little Duel Workshop - lesson 3   Piggie's little Duel Workshop - lesson 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 9:17 pm

Very nice work piggie! Can't wait to duel again!!!! Your guide feels so... yummy! Nyam
Back to top Go down
light
chS/leader
light

Flag : Italy

PostSubject: Re: Piggie's little Duel Workshop - lesson 3   Piggie's little Duel Workshop - lesson 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2012 8:37 am

PigCell wrote:
Practice now, before it's too late to challenge light while his hand is still not fully healed Very happy

Tommy xD

and niceee lesson! a lot of info in there! Smilie

as i told you, a gift is coming to you! Wink

Superman
Back to top Go down
Jeralulz
chS/member
Jeralulz

PostSubject: Re: Piggie's little Duel Workshop - lesson 3   Piggie's little Duel Workshop - lesson 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2012 11:17 am

LG aiming is just pointing at someone since AS actually completly unlagged the LG it's at any given time just a straight beam as fast as you turn there wont be a difference.. timing is quite easy since you can see the exact time and with a selfmade HUD for your own preferences it will improve your gameplay even more. More important aiming right now should be something like the not-so-obvious to use weapons like when you spawn and encounter your opponent with just GL how you can apply still a great amount of damage since I see most people fail to hit with GL even though they are right infront of me.
Back to top Go down
PigCell
chS/member
PigCell

PostSubject: Re: Piggie's little Duel Workshop - lesson 3   Piggie's little Duel Workshop - lesson 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 13, 2012 11:38 am

You are right of course, Jera. I discovered that on a smaller 'fun' map like cpm24f, you get more frags and more RL aiming practice per match than on bigger maps. The absence of a railgun let's you focus fully on mêlée combat. It's hard to just explain things in text. All I can do is tell people 'pay attention to x' while I play them. The rest really happens while you play.

A side-note on GL: I find people use it too much. Yes, it's satisfying to hit a direct grenade, but how often does that happen? It's hard, even for good players. I want people to use GL when they're out of line of sight (the opponent can't shoot back) to spam narrow corridors or items. When you're in line of sight, MG is arguably better, because at least you're guaranteed to deal some damage, rather than playing the GL lottery. This applies especially to lower tier players. They tend to stay and fight even when they're massively out-gunned way too often.
Back to top Go down
c:fx
chS/member
c:fx

PostSubject: Re: Piggie's little Duel Workshop - lesson 3   Piggie's little Duel Workshop - lesson 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2012 7:00 am

on checkin that cpma page i found some usefull guides:
eu.promode.ru/index.php?page=basic_guide
(i like the bar to show armor/health protection ratio)

#1v1_guide

and most things of tdm 2v2 apply to 1v1 too:
esreality.com/post/528333/promode-team-deathmatch/

so with power of riddle and maybe part 4 of this workshop (Piggie? pig ) we can become super powerfull duellers Very happy
Back to top Go down
PigCell
chS/member
PigCell

PostSubject: Re: Piggie's little Duel Workshop - lesson 3   Piggie's little Duel Workshop - lesson 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2012 9:21 pm

Nice, I encourage people to find and share anything they find that helps them improve their play or at least their understanding of the game.

I'm actually thinking about making a 4th part now that I have asduel1 at a playable stage.
Back to top Go down
Jeralulz
chS/member
Jeralulz

PostSubject: Re: Piggie's little Duel Workshop - lesson 3   Piggie's little Duel Workshop - lesson 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 29, 2012 8:18 am

PigCell wrote:
Nice, I encourage people to find and share anything they find that helps them improve their play or at least their understanding of the game.

I'm actually thinking about making a 4th part now that I have asduel1 at a playable stage.

PigCell - It was always kind of playable IMO and wow am I the only person who tries to improve just through playing? :D
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Piggie's little Duel Workshop - lesson 3   Piggie's little Duel Workshop - lesson 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Piggie's little Duel Workshop - lesson 3
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
chicken hunterS :: chS/clan :: chS-
Jump to: