chicken hunterS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

chicken hunterS

OpenArena Clan

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Piggie's little Duel Workshop

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
PigCell
chS/member
PigCell

Flag : Germany

Clan : chS

Piggie's little Duel Workshop Empty
PostSubject: Piggie's little Duel Workshop   Piggie's little Duel Workshop I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 9:08 pm

I am very pleased to see the recent increase in activity on the duel server. There's even a chS duel Championship going on! On the servers I frequently meet people who are eager to learn and improve. I am by no means a master of the trait, but I do have some experience to share. This is why I'm starting Piggie's little Duel Workshop. It is mostly geared towards 'weaker' players, but anyone is welcome to join in. Being on mumble is not a must, but certainly helps. If you see me on a server, just tell me you want to practice and we'll hop over to the duel server (if we're not already on).

The first workshop will be on ospdm8. There are several reasons for this:
  • A level playing field, since most of you aren't familiar with the map, and probably most of the other strong players you meet in the wild aren't either.
  • The map is not an aggressive melee map like Aerowalk or Aggressor to distract you from strategy.
  • The layout is simple, 3 rooms, 3 items, and 3 major weapons, it plays a bit like ztn3tourney1
  • Hopefully it'll be easier to 'read' your opponent and for me to spot mistakes.

As a homework assignment (yes, we have those *stern look*), I would like you to familiarise yourself a bit with the map. You have to at least be able to find the quickest path to any major item from any room. Then, observe the following game: fatality vs czm on ospdm8. Don't just watch it, follow along. Why do the players go where they're going? Where do they trap each other? Unfortunately the video quality isn't that great, but I don't know if the old osp demos from quake3 work in openarena at all.

As a little help, I've made a screenshot as a sort of overview for the map: Piggie's little Duel Workshop Ospdm81

Happy fragging!
Back to top Go down
Tiny

Tiny

Flag : France

PostSubject: Re: Piggie's little Duel Workshop   Piggie's little Duel Workshop I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 9:16 pm

I wanna buy some chicken wings, do you have that in stock? Nyam Nyam
Back to top Go down
http://god-oa.de/smf/
Jeralulz
chS/member
Jeralulz

PostSubject: Re: Piggie's little Duel Workshop   Piggie's little Duel Workshop I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 9:40 pm

I know this map from Q2 Dueling like a baws and it's so easy once you got control to keep it. At least if you don't make any mayor mistakes.
Back to top Go down
PigCell
chS/member
PigCell

PostSubject: Re: Piggie's little Duel Workshop   Piggie's little Duel Workshop I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 12:29 pm

Tiny wrote:
I wanna buy some chicken wings, do you have that in stock? Nyam Nyam
Finish your homework and meet me on the server, I'll serve you the finest boneless chicken wings, with a side dish of rocket to the face of course Very happy
Jeralulz wrote:
I know this map from Q2 Dueling like a baws and it's so easy once you got control to keep it. At least if you don't make any mayor mistakes.
Yes, the map is very straight-forward, that's exactly why I chose it. It's easier to focus on item timing and learn concepts like keeping map control. I'd even say it's easier than the Q2 version, simply because Mega, armour, and the menacing 100dmg rail (spawn health = 100 for those unfamiliar with Q2) being in the same room made it a lot more frantic back then I think.
Back to top Go down
light
chS/leader
light

Flag : Italy

PostSubject: Re: Piggie's little Duel Workshop   Piggie's little Duel Workshop I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 1:36 pm

OMG ! I <3 our Professor Piggie! Very happy

I did all my homework! and i wanna do the test now! Orc

Back to top Go down
Tiny

Tiny

PostSubject: Re: Piggie's little Duel Workshop   Piggie's little Duel Workshop I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 1:55 pm

Noone ever suceeded to make me doing my homework if i didn't want to, that won't start now!
Back to top Go down
PigCell
chS/member
PigCell

PostSubject: Re: Piggie's little Duel Workshop   Piggie's little Duel Workshop I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 2:38 pm

Tiny wrote:
Noone ever suceeded to make me doing my homework if i didn't want to, that won't start now!
You get an F!
Back to top Go down
Tiny

Tiny

PostSubject: Re: Piggie's little Duel Workshop   Piggie's little Duel Workshop I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 3:10 pm

I know i'm Fabulous
Back to top Go down
Provv
chS/member

Flag : Italy

PostSubject: Re: Piggie's little Duel Workshop   Piggie's little Duel Workshop I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2012 11:35 am

I LOVE you pig, seriously

This sounds like a DUEL class, I'm in! Shock
Back to top Go down
Jeralulz
chS/member
Jeralulz

PostSubject: Re: Piggie's little Duel Workshop   Piggie's little Duel Workshop I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2012 1:18 pm

Jeralulz wrote:
Yes, the map is very straight-forward, that's exactly why I chose it. It's easier to focus on item timing and learn concepts like keeping map control. I'd even say it's easier than the Q2 version, simply because Mega, armour, and the menacing 100dmg rail (spawn health = 100 for those unfamiliar with Q2) being in the same room made it a lot more frantic back then I think.[/quote]

But I think the Q2 version works alot better with the Megahealth spawn 'cus your Enemy has to guess alot more when you drop below 100 HP to try and go for another Item or either get some DMG done on Mega pickup (Megahealth spawns 20 Seconds after you reached 100 HP or went below it) which makes IMO Q2 Dueling alot more interesting.
Back to top Go down
PigCell
chS/member
PigCell

PostSubject: Re: Piggie's little Duel Workshop   Piggie's little Duel Workshop I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2012 10:11 pm

Jeralulz wrote:
But I think the Q2 version works alot better with the Megahealth spawn 'cus your Enemy has to guess alot more when you drop below 100 HP to try and go for another Item or either get some DMG done on Mega pickup (Megahealth spawns 20 Seconds after you reached 100 HP or went below it) which makes IMO Q2 Dueling alot more interesting.

While I totally agree with you, that's an inherent issue of the MH rules in qw/q2/cpma vs q3/q4/oa. While I generally like the dynamic MH behaviour, it has its own problems. Static MH seems a bit fairer as in it gives less advantage to the person who last picked it, for example.

A couple of first observations from playing the map with people:

• You don't have to stay and fight. Disengage, gear up, heal, and try again if things aren't going well.
  • Ambushes work, especially at RA. Are you too weak to fight for RA directly? Have your opponent eat a rocket each time they take it. If you still get YA unharmed you're at an advantage.
  • Fighting from low ground generally doesn't work so well. If you notice you're taking way more damage than you're dealing, try from a different angle or run away.
  • If you're getting owned, run and hide for a bit. It's impossible to run all 3 items all the time, so eventually you can steal some gear and/or deal damage at your opponent's RA/MH pick-up.
  • You don't have to clock all items all the time. That's too much. But get a rough idea which item is up next and in which order they spawn. This also helps you guess the route your opponent might take (possible ambush?).

I think I can also help some if two of you want to try each other and I spectate and talk things over in mumble between games (I can type in in-game chat, too, I just find that annoying after a while).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Piggie's little Duel Workshop   Piggie's little Duel Workshop I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Piggie's little Duel Workshop
Page 1 of 1